The ZSL Sustainable Business programme (ZSB) works to achieve a world where business practices protect & enhance biodiversity. ZSL is seeking a technical specialist with experience of soft-commodity supply chains in Africa and more broadly, expertise in tropical forestry.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The position is charged with leading ZSL’s engagement with forestry and other commodity producers in the Congo Basin. The role supports outreach to companies assessed by the ZSL SPOTT transparency project as well as delivering consultancy services as part of ZSL’s advisory service offering.
The post-holder will also assist in the development and implementation of ZSL’s strategy with the forestry sector, providing technical support on forestry-related issues and representing ZSL in its relationship with relevant industry groups and certification schemes such as the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and Global Platform on Sustainable Natural Rubber (GPSNR).
Current target countries to impact sustainable forest management include Cameroon, Gabon and the Republic of Congo. The role will line manage one Sustainable Business Advisor based in Cameroon and require regular travel to the region (post-covid). Aside from engagement with forestry companies, the role will be responsible for producing high quality technical reports on sustainable forest management, expanding ZSL’s work on High Conservation Value mapping in Africa, developing SFM training materials for different audiences and supporting representatives in China and Indonesia on engagement with timber companies for increased corporate disclosure and tackling the illegal timber trade.
- Fluent English & French language (written and spoken)
- A relevant academic qualification to Bachelor degree level (level 6) or equivalent professional experience.
- Relevant experience related to commodity supply chains (especially timber, pulp and paper, natural rubber or palm oil).
- Experience working with forestry companies or supply chain companies on sustainable forest management or responsible sourcing issues.
- Experience working in producer countries, especially in the Congo Basin.
- Experience managing workplans and delivering activities to schedule as part of projects.
- Experience of line management and/or managing consultants (desirable)
- Applied conservation field experience, preferably in a tropical forest setting (desirable)
- Experience working within an international not-for-profit NGO or charity setting (desirable)
- A robust understanding of soft-commodity production and sustainability criteria, especially relating to biodiversity conservation, including in the timber and pulp, rubber and/or palm oil sectors.
- Understanding of FLEGT VPAs, Timber Legality Assurance Systems and relevant national timber legality requirements.
Awareness of High Conservation Value (HCV), High Carbon Stock (HCS), Free Prior and Informed Consent and other environmental and social approaches.
- Knowledge of sustainability certification and auditing practices under FSC, RSPO and other relevant initiatives.
- Understanding of environmental due diligence and application of risk-based approaches in a commercial context.
- Awareness of sourcing practices of consumer goods manufacturers and/or retailers operating under the EU Timber Regulation, US Lacey Act or Autralian Illegal Logging Prohibition Act (especially Europe) (desirable)
- In-depth knowledge of the local context (political economy) relating to tropical forestry and agricultural sectors in Africa (desirable).
- Well-connected with a range of stakeholders in the forestry and agricultural commodities sectors (desirable).
- Experience using satellite monitoring to monitor deforestation and degradation and/or HCV mapping expertise (desirable).
Find a full Job Description on the ZSL website here: https://careers-zsl.icims.com/jobs/2617/sustainable-business-specialist%2c-africa/job
Applicants will need to upload their CV plus a covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) to the ZSL careers page. If you have any queries regarding these positions or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 07 March 2021
Expected interview dates: 10 and 11 March 2021
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Zoological Society of London (ZSL)
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.