Daemeter is an independent consulting group promoting sustainable development through supporting responsible management of natural resources. Our clients and partnerships span multinational business, NGOs, governments, community groups and research organizations, and our sectoral focus includes agribusiness, forestry, finance, energy and international development. Daemeter is headquartered in Indonesia, with offices in USA, and projects in Asia’s emerging economies in Indonesia, Sabah, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines and Myanmar, and with experience in Africa. Our multi-national team includes advisors, technical experts, field teams, staff and project managers, with decades of combined experience across a range of disciplines. We offer a unique blend of adherence to international standards of best practice, rooted in deep knowledge and local and regional context and constraints. We prioritize long term relationships with partners, clients and staff to build and advance a solid foundation for meaningful progress.
Strong candidates will have a proven track record of successful delivery and management of complex training programmes for farmers, ideally wtih a background in oil palm development and sustainability. The candidate must be an Indonesian national, based in Daemeter’s Bogor office with periodic travel to training program sites in Indonesia, including South Sumatra, Riau and East Kalimantan.
Daemeter and Proforest are developing a smallholder farmer training program, aimed at helping farmers (i) become productive, low impact producers, and (ii) ensure their inclusion within sustainable palm oil supply chains. These trainings will improve oil palm smallholders’ understanding of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and sustainability criteria required by an increasing number of oil palm growers and buyers. Local conditions, farmer experience and contemporary practices of smallholders vary greatly, as do their links to buyers and the supply chain. Given this, effective training modules must be designed with an awareness of this complexity, and with training methods tailored to different knowledge levels and learning abilities.
The training programme will be designed to support independent smallholder farmers, and will be tailored to their needs and challenges. This programme will evolve and expand over time, with initial field training programs to launch in South Sumatera, followed by Riau and East Kalimantan.
The Training Coordinator will be based at Daemeter’s office in Bogor, with periodic travel to field sites to coordinate with and direct training coordinators at farmer field schools.
About this role
In collaboration with the Daemeter and Proforest teams, the Training Coordinator will:
- Direct the compilation and review of existing training materials and modules for smallholders to identify appropriate material and adapt to specific training needs
- With Daemeter and Proforest staff, lead training need assessments to identify key topics for smallholder training
- Participate in discussions with partners to define training needs and approaches, and realistic targets for programme implementation
- Lead the design of training modules for oil palm smallholder training, covering GAP and wider social and environmental sustainability issues
- Lead consideration of how training delivery can be adapted to different types of farmers or farmer groups
- Lead development of approaches for training module delivery, including creative use of digital and/or mobile platform technologies, potentially combined with farmer field schools and/or other on-site facilities
- With training teams, lead field trials of training modules and approaches, to be revised and adapted based on field trials.
- Provide on-the-job training for field training coordinators and trainers to increase their capacity
- Where needed and appropriate, support delivery of trainings in the field
- Co-lead development, deployment and analysis of farmer learning assessment tools, and farmer feedback surveys, to gauge program effectiveness and inform its adaptation
- Lead evaluation of training programmes to provide feedback on impact and ensure continuous improvement
- Write reports on training programme, e.g. on implementation, impact of training, evaluation of effectiveness and plans for adaptation
- Throughout this process, seek opportunities for strategic partnership in the development, deployment and refinement of the training program
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in sustainable agriculture and the design and delivery of training programmes at the farm level
- University degree, ideally in natural resources or sustainability related discipline (including social, economic, and policy aspects).
- Preferably with some experience working in or with the private sector in either agriculture (particularly palm oil) or other relevant land use sectors or supply chains.
- Significant experience with social and environmental aspects of sustainability • Experience in coordinating complex projects with multiple work streams and different stakeholder groups
- Experience supervising agricultural trainers / extension workers in rural areas in Indonesia
- Strong evidence of ability to liaise effectively with a wide range of stakeholders including smallholders, with proven ability to build common ground among diverse interest groups.
- Excellent Indonesian (native language) and English, written and oral language capabilities.
- Passion and patience in working with smallholders.
- Flexibility to work under a range of conditions, including remotely and in the field.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Driven to deliver outputs of highest quality and on schedule.
- Sense of humour
The Training Coordinator will be employed full time by Daemeter. Reflecting the joint nature of the position, the Manager will report principally to the Smallholder Programme Manager and key project focal points at both Daemeter and Proforest. For practical purposes, as the programme planning and delivery needs to be well-integrated with a wider training programme of a large oil palm company, close coordination and reporting to the company itself will also be required (in coordination with Daemeter & Proforest).
Salary and location
With salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience, Daemeter offers the right candidate an opportunity for a challenging work experience within a relaxed, bilingual working environment of leading professionals. Daemeter’s office is located in Bogor, with priority training programs to be deployed first in South Sumatra, then Riau and East Kalimantan.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a resume and letter of interest in PDF format and English language, outlining your relevant experience, how you meet desired qualifications, and your career goals, along with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate your name and the job title (Smallholder Farmer Training Coordinator) in the subject line of your email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.