As the Senior Strategic Communications Associate, you will be part of the ECF’s Strategic Communications Team, which is the outreach unit of the Foundation. The team acts as a centre of expertise on climate communications and seeks to help create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, European and sectoral level.
The team delivers strategic advice, communications and outreach services to ECF programmes and grantees and helps build strategic communications capacity in the wider climate community. This role will support the ECF Land use programme as well as its grantees with the development of strategic communications plans and tactics on land use, including bioenergy, seeking to incentivize a wide range of actors – from policy makers to businesses to citizens – to ensure that land plays an appropriate role in Europe’s 2030 and 2050 goals both in their internal and external dimensions.
We are looking for a smart, dynamic and insightful person who can bring together a wide variety of partners around a common strategy aimed to shift the narrative around how the land use sector can support the transition in Europe as well as with regards to Europe’s global role on land-use concerns. This includes discussions around the drivers for land use change such as bioenergy.
You’ll need to be a self-starter, with a proven interest in climate and land use narratives and you’ll be working as part of a fast-paced, European team that operates in multiple media markets and multiple platforms.
You’ll need to be a great communicator with excellent understanding of how to place good stories to create political impact. You’ll need to understand a range of topics related to land use-bioenergy, carbon sequestration by land, livestock, deforestation within and outside Europe, nature restoration, agro-industry and sustainable diets – and the way these topics intersect with politics on national and international levels and use this intelligence in the service of communications.
Reporting to the Strategic Communications Manager, Europe, the Senior Strategic Communications Associate – Land Use & bioenergy will be responsible for:
- Tracking political, public and media debates around topics related to livestock, land-use, deforestation, agri-industry and extractives and sustainable diets, as well as how bioenergy related policies play an appropriate role in Europe’s 2030 and support the transition in Europe;
- Developing and implementing communications strategies and campaigns, shaping, pitching and amplifying newsworthy interventions and compelling related stories to influence and shift these debates;
- Accompanying the work of the ECF’s Land Use programme and initiatives to ensure a communications perspective is injected across all stages of strategic decision-making;
- Working with a wide spectrum of internal and external partners to turn strategy into workable campaigns and develop effective communications plans around report releases and political moments;
- Developing and maintaining a diverse network of partners and contacts across sectors (academia, corporate, non-profit, politics, including spokespeople);
- Developing structures and approaches that can react quickly to emerging opportunities and changes in the external context;
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with key correspondents and editors in mainstream and specialist media for pro-active promotion of stories, outreach on emerging issues and reactive media management;
- Making full use of new and innovative methods of digital communications work to disseminate messages and raise awareness of ECF-supported initiatives and outputs;
- Working hand-in-hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the low carbon transition;
- Supervising the work of communications consultants when needed.
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organization;
- 5-8 years of experience in climate, energy, agriculture or food public relations, journalism or a related field;
- A strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of EU policymaking;
- Detailed understanding of the media landscape and values, and experience of strategic story placement, messaging, etc.;
- Strong experience of development and deployment of major communications initiatives and European wide campaigns;
- Far-reaching and active networks (media in European markets; agriculture/food/energy/climate community);
- Strong diplomatic skills and interpersonal relations, ability to quickly build trust with partners and colleagues;
- Gravitas sufficient to work directly with high profile individuals and partners from diverse backgrounds at all levels;
- Fluent in written and spoken English, knowledge of other European languages welcome;
- Project management experience is an asset;
- Strong time and priority management, high level of independence, good team-player with a passion for excellence;
- High levels of self-motivation, used to working at a high pace in remote settings, as part of international teams
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, small group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time permanent position
How to apply
Please upload below in English:
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
About European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to foster the development of a net-zero emissions society and help Europe to play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The Foundation works through sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.