The Chair for Forest and Nature Conservation Policy at the Georg-August- University Göttingen is looking to fill the position of a
Research Assistant (f/m/d)
This position should be filled by May 2021 with a limited contract for the duration of the Volkswagen Foundation project which is 3 years for the proposed research assistant (PhD candidate) position. The selected candidate will benefit from a salaried position according to the German salary TVL system (TV-L E13) . Regular working hours are average of 65 % of a full position (currently 25,87 hours per week).
- Work on the research topic of: Foreign investments, forestland governance and the politics of inequality in the Congo basin,
- Designing a creative and original method approach combining individual case studies and comparative perspective in or among Congo basin forest-rich countries including Cameroon and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC),
- Scrutinizing how the politics of forestland governance and related power strategies by foreign investors affect or (re) produce inequalities in the Congo basin.
- Conduct theoretical high level research to pursue a PhD.Your profile
- MSc or equivalent degree in social sciences ((forest-)political science, development studies, or related disciplines),
- Advanced skills in English and French speaking/writing,
- Experience in working in the Congo basin countries or in sub-Sahara Africa will be an advantage,
- Previous research experience related to foreign investments in the Congo basin will be a plus,
- Excellent skills in collaborating with a diverse team within an international research project,
- Ability and personal skills to engage in outreach activities and communication of scientific knowledge beyond academic spheres would be an advantage.
This position is designed to serve in fostering young researchers and scientists and give the successful applicant the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree.
The University of Göttingen is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in fields in which they are underrepresented. The university has committed itself to being a family- friendly institution and supports their employees in balancing work and family life. The mission of the University is to employ a greater number of severely disabled persons. Applications from severely disabled persons with equivalent qualifications will be given preference.
We look forward to your detailed application in which you can tell us more about your knowledge and your motivation. Each application should include a CV, 1-page letter of motivation, 2 letters of recommendation.
Please apply by 03.03.2021 via the online application portal at https://lotus2.gwdg.de/uni/uzdv/perso/knr_100814.nsf .
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Symphorien Ongolo, phone: ++49 (0)551/39-33410, E-mail: email@example.com
With submission of your application, you accept the processing of your applicant data in terms of data-protection law. Further information on the legal basis and data usage is provided in the Information General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
About The University of Göttingen
The University of Göttingen, founded in 1737, sees itself as an internationally important research university with a focus on research-based teaching. It is characterized by the diversity of its subjects, especially in the humanities, by the excellent equipment in the natural sciences and the outstanding quality of its research in the profile-giving areas. The traditional university has 130 subjects in 13 faculties.