- Estimate existing rattan stocks and how has it changed over time
- Conduct rattan value change analysis
INBAR seeks experts (one or two experts) in the biophysical assessment of rattan and rattan value chain analysis in Cameroon (expert can apply for biophysical assessment of rattan or rattan value chains analysis or both). Scope of Work
- The consultant(s) will work closely with Institute of Agricultural Research and Development (IRAD) to carry out this assignment.
- IRAD will provide assistance to the consultant including providing technical staff, local transportation, field interpreter (if needed), preliminary mapping rattan locations in Cameroon and be interviewing local rattan harvesters, traders, scientists etc.
- The consultant(s) will be responsible for developing a sound methodology, conducting field data collection, data analysis and reporting.
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – In close collaboration with IRAD, develop a sound rattan assessment methodology in order to Map rattan species and locations in Cameroon
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Estimate annual volume of rattan collected (where as possible, volume should be estimated for each harvested species)
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Estimate existing rattan stocks and trend of rattan stocks
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Develop sets of questionnaires and interview protocol for interviewing rattan harvesters, rattan traders, scientists etc. (The interview will be conducted by staff of IRAD) in order to locate rattan regions, rattan hotspots and rattan status in each region and understand rattan habitat, rattan management and harvesting activities. (if any rattan species that are currently not harvested, should be included in the assessment)
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Work with staff of IRAD to map of rattan regions, rattan hotspots and status in each region (rattan hotspots should include all area where rattan presents such as open access forest, regulated forests, cultivated rattan etc.)
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Conduct participatory rattan mappings
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Conduct field assessment (transect walk through representative rattan hotspots)
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Transfer the results of participatory rattan mapping and transect walk into a map
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Develop a modelling for estimation of rattan stock in each region and national stocks (if necessary)
- Biophysical assessment of rattan – Conduct data analysis and reporting
- Rattan value chain analysis – will be carried out through desk review, field visit, stakeholder interview (Key informant interview / focus group discussion),
- Rattan value chain analysis – Identify all the actors involved in the value chain analysed as well as their linkages, role, and added value (description of actors and value chain functions)
- Rattan value chain analysis – Identify and describe all elements of the chain (policies, supporting organisations, production, post harvesting processing, marketing and consumption) and analyse the constraints and opportunities
- Rattan value chain analysis – Identify which elements of the chain should be strengthened for rattan development and sustainable management and for developing strong linkages between production and market actors
- Rattan value chain analysis – Identify which elements represent barriers or obstacles to overcome
- Rattan value chain analysis – Development of an intervention strategy for developing rattan sector
- Advanced Degree in Forestry, Natural Resources or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience working in rattan assessment or inventory and natural resource management
- Familiar with participatory tools, especially participatory resource mapping
- Experience in GIS mapping tools and modelling would be an advantage
- Experience working in Cameroon or in the region would be an advantage
- Fluent written and spoken English is mandatory for this position. Working knowledge of French would be an advantage
- Expertise in statistics, forest inventory and/or remote sensing and GIS
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Submission of work plan indicating methodology and interview questionnaires, and interview protocol – Within 10 days of signing contract
- Submission of a draft report – within 20 days of field data collection
- Submission of a final report – Within 10 days after receiving the comments
Application ProcessApplications will be accepted until 30th September 2017. All applications will be acknowledged, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further action.
Please send a cover letter with your Curriculum Vitae (in English) to:
Human Resources Department, INBAR email@example.com
Please indicate the position to which you are applying in the email subject line.
To learn more about INBAR, please visit our web site at: www.inbar.int