One Tree Planted is a US-based non-profit that plants trees around the world to help combat climate change, conserve biodiversity, restore landscapes, and strengthen communities. We act as a catalyst and conduit for individuals and businesses to help reduce their carbon footprint and meet their corporate social responsibility objectives.
One Tree Planted is looking for a dynamic individual to add to our fast growing team. The Carbon Specialist’s primary responsibility will be to lead the assessment of carbon sequestration attributes of our reforestation projects. This will require an understanding of the technical complexities surrounding carbon, which ranges from the calculation of carbon sequestration values for making soft claims to policies and procedures to meet certified and/or verified carbon. The specialist will also communicate the complexities of carbon verification in simple terms to donors and partners.
Responsibilities of the Carbon Specialist Include:
* Develop and implement a process for assessing the carbon sequestration values of One Tree Planted reforestation projects;
* Prepare the appropriate documentation to report on the carbon sequestration values and work with auditors to implement third party verification, as appropriate;
* Participate in discussions with donors to describe the challenges and opportunities of pursuing various carbon verification options;
* Contribute to the formulation of One Tree Planted’s Carbon Policy
* Master of Science in Forestry, Forest Science, or related field with training in relevant skills such as conducting forest biometrics, forest modeling, participatory rural appraisals, best practice forestry, and have a working knowledge of tree species commonly used in agroforestry as well as for native plantings worldwide and their ecosystem characteristics and impacts;
* Three (3) years relevant work experience, which include knowledge of Verra VCS, Gold Standard or other standards for the Verified or Certified Carbon Markets, on-the-ground reforestation, landscape restoration, afforestation, formulation of forest management plans, among others;
* Willing to travel internationally for site visits;
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, ArcGIS and other software relevant to carbon modeling, monitoring forest metrics would be advantageous;
* Excellent writing and communication skills;
* Proficiency in Spanish and French would be advantageous;
* Good time-management and self-management skills, is able to take direction, and work independently and collaboratively;
* Commitment to solving the environmental challenges of our time;
* Ability to work remotely; with the ideal candidate being located in one of the following locations: Montreal (Canada), Miami (Florida) or California
* Collegial personality and team player.
* Cover letter indicating your interest in the position and why you think you would be a good fit with the organization
* Your full curriculum vitae
* The names, titles, e-mails, and telephone numbers of three references
Please send your application package to Ross Bernet, Forestry Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org. We will conduct interviews on a rolling basis and will close the application when the role has been filled. You are encouraged to apply soon because we are seeing an increasing demand for carbon monitoring on our projects and are looking to move quickly for a qualified applicant!