Apply by Sun, 04/03/2018 – 12:00
NEPCon is looking for an experienced Writer/Editor to be part of our dynamic and dedicated Communications Team. The person will play a critical role in collaborating with different programmes and non-profit projects to plan, write, edit and promote the content.
We are seeking someone who has experience in writing clear, well-argued, well-researched articles, editorials, op-eds, news as well as editing digital content, publication and technical documents.
Our ideal candidate is someone who can write clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences. The person is capable of explaining complex technical content in an understandable way to non-technical audiences, while still retaining the key messages. The person should be able to create vibrant and compelling content to promote our work and engage stakeholders.
This is an incredibly exciting post for the right candidate. As part of your duties you will report and write about initiatives to protect our global forests, responsible business practices… and assist our technical staff in developing quality documents by providing editorial assessments and performing small or substantive editing. You will get to know (more) about key world’s sustainability certification schemes and be involved in our non-profit projects around the world to promote and support sustainable practices to reserve our natural resources.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Develop editorial guidelines for NEPCon communication materials and public facing materials
- Work with programmes and projects, as well as stakeholders to produce news articles related to projects and certification, for publishing on NEPCon and projects’ communications channels on a regular basis
- Manage multiple writing assignments from concept to completion, including information gathering and analysis, content development, curation, editing/proofreading, and final publication. Such projects include but not limited to a wide range of NEPCon materials such as articles, leaflets, web content and other communications materials for different targeted groups.
- Keep up-to-date with the industry news and NEPCon projects’ progress to capitalise on timely opportunities and produce regular, fresh content that bring value to and engage the audiences
- Provide support to other NEPCon organisational communications as agreed with the Communications Manager
You hold a university degree, preferably in journalism, communications or related fields with appropriate training in writing and editing, combined with 3+ years of professional experience in journalistic writing, news reporting, editing or communications.
You may have experience working in the non-profit sector, e.g. working in an international non-profit organisation or development projects is an advantage.
You have proven experience transforming highly technical information into accessible plain-language content for different audiences in print, web and other formats. It is a requirement that you have a proven track record of mastery of articles and copy editing.
Furthermore, the ideal candidate has:
- Full proficiency in English.
- Skills and an ability to support writers of many different disciplines and whose English is not the native language. Remember a lot of your material may come from our staff that spans 18 different nationalities across the 13 countries where we currently have offices.
- Knowledge of or experience communicating about forestry topics (FLEGT, timber trade, EUTR, etc.), sustainable certification schemes/standards and conservation – but it is not a requirement.
- Strong skills in the MS Office Suite application and it will be an add-on if you have experience in content management systems and data visualisation.
- Ability to take an investigative approach in writing news articles, finding details and story angles that others have missed.
You are a team player, who at the same time possess the ability of flying solo on own projects and assignments.
By nature, you are open minded, outgoing and can juggle multiple tasks at one time, while always keeping deadlines because of your effective time management. As you will be working with many nationalities and cultures, you have excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and stakeholders. Also, you…
- have an eye for detail, possess strong analytical, research and writing skills and have demonstrated an ability to think strategically
- take a pride in – and are good at – finding details and story angles that others have missed
- have a natural talent for creating vibrant and compelling content that promotes our work and engage stakeholders.
Work time: Full time position
The position refers to our Communications Manager
Salary commensurate with qualifications
Expected starting date: Soonest
Working location: Where the ideal candidate is located (or any NEPCon office.. check our website www.nepcon.org)
How to apply?
Please submit your CV, a letter of application and your three writing samples (all in English), including salary expectations, by 4 March 2018 via our website https://www.nepcon.org/careers/experienced-writer-editor
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact: Communications Manager, Anh Thi Ngoc Luu, email: firstname.lastname@example.org , telephone: +84 904 372129.
NEPCon wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Anh Thi Ngoc Luu
About NEPCon: NEPCon is a mission-driven organisation working to ensure responsible use of natural resources worldwide. Our core activity areas are certification, capacity building and environmental projects in forestry, wood processing and agricultural sectors. NEPCon has engaged in sustainability services, working with well-recognized certification schemes such as FSC, PEFC, and Sustainable Biomass Partnership (SBP). Headquartered in Denmark, NEPCon has 100+ staff located around Europe, Russia, U.S., Australia and Asia. For further information visit www.nepcon.org