Forests are essential for people, wildlife, and fighting climate change – but they’re under tremendous threat. At ClientEarth we’re working with local partners to tackle deforestation, protect wildlife, and secure the rights of forest communities.
Our team is expanding its strategic litigation and legal advocacy in support of forest conservation and is looking for a lawyer to take on a significant role in the development and implementation of strategic litigation for forests and biodiversity conservation. This will consist of identifying opportunities for litigation and legal advocacy on a global basis, with a particular emphasis on the world’s tropical forest biomes. You will be coordinating the various aspects of this effort, from the development of appropriate legal theories, case selection, case uptake and management, including supporting partner litigation.
Meet your Manager
In this role you will be managed by our Head of the Climate and Forests team, . Brian joined ClientEarth in February 2020; before this, he was living in Cambodia, where he founded a start-up initiative linking private investment, conservation management and local livelihoods. He has also served as an advisor on land rights, natural resources governance and community livelihoods issues, and managed the Ministry of Environment’s process to create Cambodia’s Environmental Code. He started his career at the US Environmental Protection Agency.
- Developing and applying legal theories to promote forest conservation and the rights of the local communities and indigenous peoples
- Determining a comprehensive strategy to develop the jurisprudence concerning forest biodiversity and conservation
- Engaging with a range of partners to build effective cases
- Developing a means of prioritizing potential legal actions
- Bringing cases and other legal actions forward, overall case management planning, instructing barristers, coordinating with partners, and developing communications strategies
See the job description (below) for a full list of duties for this role
- Law degree
- Legal professional qualification
- Significant experience with strategic litigation and related legal advocacy, preferably in the public interest sector
- Knowledge of one or more of the following practice areas: environmental lawcommercial lawinternational tradehuman rights law
- Experience initiating and managing complex projects
- English at CEFR Level C2
- Outstanding written and oral communication
- Rigorous legal analysis and drafting skills
- Commitment to non-profit/public interest advocacy
Flexible working: Post-covid, we are giving our staff the choice to decide where they want to work for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based. See our Benefits page for more.
We are moving offices in London later this year. Our new office is located close to Drayton Park overground and Highbury & Islington stations.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in the country where this post is based.
ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.
We are a non-profit using the power of the law to bring about end-to-end systemic change: informing, implementing and enforcing the law, drafting and advising decision-makers on policy, building legal expertise, and ensuring citizens’ access to the laws that defend them.
We take governments to court – and win. We force polluting industries to shut down. We protect irreplaceable forests and vulnerable species. We empower people and NGOs with the legal rights to bring forward environmental battles of their own. Using the law means that we create real, long-lasting and embedded change.
We’re working to secure a lasting civilisation in which people and nature thrive together. We work in partnership across borders, systems and sectors, ingeniously using the law to protect life on Earth.