Commonland Foundation is an Amsterdam-based, internationally operating organization working on large-scale and long-term landscape restoration initiatives, with the mission of transforming 100 million acres of degraded landscapes before 2040 together with other landscape partners, farmers, policymakers, companies, and investors. To make this happen they have developed the ‘4 Returns’ framework.
A practical and holistic approach to transform degraded ecosystems into vibrant landscapes and communities by focusing on 4 key returns supported by landscape zones over the course of a single generation, or 20 years.
There is a globally growing need to reduce GHG emissions to zero in the next decades, and this becomes increasingly critical. Landscape restoration will play a crucial role in combatting climate change as the potential to use land as a Carbon sequestration mechanism is huge.
Commonland has set the goal to enter the Carbon value chain of demand and supply and has recently developed a landscape carbon strategy. As they are in process of starting the preliminary activities, they are looking for an entrepreneurial, hands-on, and experienced leader to join the team and take the lead in setting up and running the carbon team reporting directly to the CEO/COO.
- Further developing and executing the strategy, direction, and evolution of the carbon activities
- Co-developing the 4 Returns Carbon credit co-benefit methodology together with our core landscape partners
- Leading the development and evolution of the 4 Returns Carbon programs to ensure they evolve in a manner that guarantees the integrity and quality of all projects and credits and ensures they are strategically positioned to continue to play a leading role in driving climate action and holistic landscape management
- Collaborating with other Commonland departments to ensure synchronization on key opportunities and challenges (e.g., engaging in cross-organizational discussions on communications, innovations, and organizational strategy)
- Engaging with outside stakeholders, including corporates, NGOs, and governments to build and maintain essential relationships, and inform program development and organizational strategy
- Overseeing program staff
- Representing Commonland at external meetings and events
You will be working from the foundation’s head office based in Amsterdam with frequent travel to the landscapes for extended periods of time. Whilst the execution of the carbon strategy at Foundation level will be your main priority, you will also help to build carbon programmes within landscapes with Commonland’s core partners.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in climate, biodiversity and nature-based solutions, REDD+, TREES, carbon credits, landscape design, regenerative agriculture and carbon farming, afforestation, and deforestation
- Qualified with a Degree in sustainability, forest and nature conservation, or environmental sciences, ecology or equivalent
- Entrepreneurial in your approach, hands-on and strategic thinking with a proven record of business growth and building the business and personnel infrastructure to support this growth
- Proven track record in stakeholder management across public and corporate organisations
- Managing supply and demand side, initiating multi-million transactions (including jurisdictional programs), building a pipeline of buyers, as well as development of channel partnerships
This is a great opportunity to create long-term sustainable and social impact across continents, to work in an inspiring Dutch-based, globally focused start-up/ sale-up environment, and a dynamic and international work environment full of passionate, and enthusiastic team members.
For more information, please get in touch with Dulce Flores via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mission is to make positive environmental and social impact by collaborating with innovative organisations on recruitment, search, talent development and business intelligence.
The market-leader in sustainability and safety recruitment for over a decade. Acre has built a community of talented, dedicated professionals who daily create social and environmental value, while promoting good business.
We work with world-leading corporates and consultancies, non-profits and NGOs, deploying our extensive network to place impactful people, develop leading-edge teams and provide valuable business intelligence.
Measuring our success one individual at a time, ethics and sustainability are key to our culture. We're active members of the UN Global Compact, we produce comprehensive annual sustainability reports, and our fundraising through the Acre Foundation enriches communities and improves lives.