Start Date: asap 2017
Reports to: Programme Head
Trase first launched in 2016 with a focus on soy and cattle in Latin America and continues to both address more commodities and countries as well as to drill deeper into the use of Trase data to provide decision support for stakeholders in the region. We are seeking a Trase Senior Associate with experience coordinating large scale, complex projects to facilitate the successful development of Trase, including a leading role in extending Trase to the palm oil sector in South East Asia.
The role will sit within the Supply Chains programme at Global Canopy, but work very closely with Trase staff within the Stockholm Environment Institute, as well as in other collaborating organisations of the broader Trase partnership. The position requires superb coordinating and project management skills, together with content knowledge on commodity driven deforestation.
1) Strategic planning and implementation of Trase programme, with emphasis on expansion of Trase to palm oil in SE Asia (40% time)
· Ensure high-quality delivery against milestones, planned outputs, and budgets for key Trase projects.
· Work with Programme Head and in-region Engagement Lead to create a strategy for Trase for palm oil and input into the overall Trase strategy.
· Create and implement internal communication and coordination processes among project teams.
· Line manage members of the programme team, ensuring they have clear objectives and regular support.
· Coordinate recruitment and manage onboarding of new staff members as needed.
· Serve as one of the point people for core Trase partner organisations.
· Work closely with Trase colleagues at SEI, including the product development manager for Trase, to help deliver a tightly joined up programme of work between the two institutions and contribute towards overall strategy development
2) Project Management (30% time)
· Manage workplans and budgets for Trase for palm oil, and assist in management of other Trase workplans and budgets
· Assist with the organisation of high level external events, to include preparing and executing invitation lists coordinating with communications staff.
· Support in assessing impact through monitoring and evaluation of programme activities
3) Engagement and Network Management (30% time)
· Provide Trase demonstrations and introductions to new interested partners and users, including government and private sector
· Help manage the Trase email and direct enquiries from prospective Trase users and partners to ensure all enquiries are answered or forwarded to appropriate team members.
· Coordinate with other GCP programmes on engagement with common partners and stakeholders.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND ATTRIBUTES
· Masters degree in environmental studies, policy, law or other related degree and at least 3 years of working on commodity supply chains
· Experience in, and advanced knowledge of the palm oil sector and its impact on the environment, with specific knowledge of Indonesian land use change dynamics
· Demonstrated project management skills, with an eye for detail and accuracy.
· Experience in partnership management and delivering complex projects with many active parties.
· Experience in either private sector or government engagement.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas and teach others both orally and in writing.
· Knowledge of private sector commitments to address deforestation.
· Knowledge of other commodity sectors, including rubber in SE Asia, or soy and cattle in Latin America.
· Experience in developing online data tools.
· Language proficiency in Bahasa Indonesian.
About Global Canopy Programme
GLOBAL CANOPY and TRASE
Global Canopy is an agile and entrepreneurial charity with an outsized impact. Our aim is to end large-scale deforestation, a global problem with huge hidden costs for people and prosperity.
We focus on the big market levers driving deforestation at regional, national and international levels. And we bring a fresh approach to identifying, targeting, and mobilising action among the key powerbrokers - the governments, businesses and financial institutions worldwide - with the power to end the global ‘deforestation economy’.
Global Canopy is a founding partner of Trase – Transparency for Sustainable Economies – along with the Stockholm Environment Institute. Trase (trase.earth) is a powerful new sustainability platform, enabling governments, companies, investors and others to better understand and address the environmental and social impacts linked to their supply chains. Its pioneering approach draws on vast sets of production, trade and customs data, for the first time laying bare the flows of globally-traded commodities. It comes as a direct response to the ambitious commitments made by leaders across sectors to achieve deforestation-free supply chains by 2020 – and the urgent need this creates for a breakthrough in assessing and monitoring sustainability performance.