Position: Part-time – 3 days/week. Permanent
Salary: From £35k per annum pro rata
We are at a very exciting time in the development of the organisation, and are seeking an experienced finance professional who shares our conviction that tropical forests are vital natural capital that the world cannot afford to destroy. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and committed to helping us achieve our mission.
The purpose of the role is to enable Global Canopy programme teams to deliver Global Canopy’s operational and strategic objectives, by supporting on management of Global Canopy’s financial resources. The work covers the whole project cycle: proposal preparation, planning/budgeting, contracting, monitoring, reporting. Projects involve a large number of interlinked funders and close collaboration with partners. Effective management of risks and exploiting opportunities is key to success.
The Finance Business Partner reports to the CFO, with a dotted line to the relevant Programme Head(s).
Advice support & guidance
- Form effective collaborative relationships with programme heads, project managers and other staff within the relevant programme.
- Act as a go-to sounding board on all financial matters within the programme – providing challenge and support, ensuring that financial resources are used for maximum impact and in line with organisational priorities.
- Supporting programme teams to make efficient use of Global Canopy’s systems and procedures, ensuring that controls and processes work effectively.
Management information & systems
- Preparation of budgets and other financial plans – in line with donor, organisational, and programme needs
- Preparation of financial and other reports to monitor progress and financial performance against plan.
- Support colleagues with interpretation and follow up of management information.
- Support colleagues to fully meet all donor requirements on related grants
- Preparation of donor financial reports according to donor timetables
- Prepare financial parts of donor proposals – liaising with colleagues as appropriate.
Finance team member
- Work with Finance & other colleagues to make sure that Global Canopy’s policies, systems, practices and tools evolve to meet the organisations changing needs.
- Support with regular accounting tasks, annual accounts / audits, and cover for colleagues’ work as needed.
- Other work as requested appropriate to the skill level.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
You will have good communication, and have proven abilities in communicating complex financial information in a simple and clear way. Your accounting & financial management experience will allow you to financially manage a complex portfolio of grants. Your collaborative approach and solutions oriented way of working will make you a natural team player.
- Knowledge & understanding of accounting
- Experience of preparing budgets and plans / and monitoring against them
- Communication skills – communicating financial matters with non-financial colleagues
- Ability to form effective working relationships across an organisation
- Experience of complying with funding contracts and reporting to donors, including management of multiple income streams which fund multiple projects.
- Commercial awareness and acumen – including within a grant funded environment
- Ability to manage own workload, prioritise effectively and meet deadlines under pressure
- Initiative to find solutions and work effectively
- A hands on approach, able to get things done in a small team with sometimes limited resources.
- Familiarity with accounting software, and database/CRM packages
- IT skills – particularly excel
- A commitment to the environment
- Professional accounting qualification
- Experience of charity accounting
Global Canopy’s preference is for someone working 3 days per week, but we are happy to consider flexible arrangements and/or 2 days per week for the right candidate. Please indicate this in your application.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org The cover letter should include the relevant experience and qualifications which best show your competencies. Applications should be submitted before the deadline. Late applications will only be considered depending on the candidates in the 1st round. The sooner a late application is submitted the more likely it is to be considered.
About Global Canopy Programme
Global Canopy Programme is an agile and entrepreneurial charity with an outsized impact. Our aim is to end large-scale deforestation, a global problem with huge hidden costs for people and prosperity.
We work smart, by focusing on the big market levers driving deforestation at regional, national and international levels. And we bring a fresh approach to identifying, targeting, and mobilising action among the key powerbrokers - the governments, businesses and financial institutions worldwide - with the power to end this global ‘deforestation economy’. Increasingly, we also address related environmental and social impacts caused by the same market dynamics that are converting the world’s rainforests into land for agricultural commodities: our systemic failure to account for the vital benefits we receive from nature.
Over the last 16 years we have built up a strong track record and an international reputation for innovation and effectiveness. For more on our work see: www.globalcanopy.org www.naturalcapitaldeclaration.org and www.forest500.org
The organisation’s turnover is currently around £3millon. Funding comes from a combination of government donors, private foundations and individuals.