Location: Oxford, UK
Position: Permanent, full-time (37.5 hours per week) with a six-month probation
Salary: From £24k p.a.
Reports to: Communications Director (one post), Supply Chains Communication Lead (one post)
Application deadline: 9 am on 15th May 2018
Global Canopy is looking to fill two communications officer vacancies. One to support our finance programme and our central communications and brand support functions. The other, to support our Supply Chains Programme, including our flagship Trase Project.
This is an exciting opportunity to be at the heart of promoting the work of Global Canopy and its programmes, focused on greater transparency and accountability across global soft commodity supply chains and the role of financial institutions in shifting to a global deforestation-free economy. The successful candidates will be experienced communication professionals able to turn their hand to a range of disciplines, including; content creation, social media, digital, media, event management and basic design skills.
The role will sit within the communications team at Global Canopy, and will work closely with the programmatic communications leads, programmatic staff and our external partners. The ideal candidates will be team players who excel at working independently, can work across different projects, and brings both a creative perspective and keen visual understanding.
We are seeking two Communications Officers capable of helping deliver the successful implementation of the programmatic communications strategies, together with other areas of work to increase awareness of Global Canopy. The position requires experience in communicating complex ideas to a diversity of audiences, and familiarity with communications for different types of media.
1. Support publication of key communication materials
- Input into the planning of reports, blogs, newsletters, and other communications materials
- Advise on messaging in line with the voice and messaging of both Global Canopy and its programmes
- Review content from a communications perspective to ensure coherence and maximum impact of materials
- Coordinate involvement of designers and other contractors as necessary
- Support planning and successful delivery of major events
2. Contribute to social media engagement
- Input to the social media strategies of Global Canopy and its programmes
- Create content for distribution on social media channels
- Provide analysis of social media reach and engagement to improve communications impact
- Coordinate with programme staff on Global Canopy’s social media outreach
3. Support Global Canopy’s media outreach
- Help to identify good story opportunities for Global Canopy and its programmes
- Support the creation and development of press releases, and the identification of key media
- Maintain the database of key media contacts, and produce monitoring reports detailing media coverage and reach.
4. Support management of communications planning tools and processes
- Help maintain the communication calendar and engage with programme staff to update regularly
- Work with communications leads and programmatic project managers to incorporate communications activities into project work plans
- Support the tracking of Global Canopy’s communications reach and impact for reporting to donors, trustees and the management team.
5. Contribute to Global Canopy’s communications strategies
- In collaboration with the Communications Leads, input into programmatic strategies and project-specific strategies
- Participate in annual planning to help determine major communications objectives and milestones
- Support Communications Leads with any task and activity needed for the successful delivery of communications.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- University degree in communications, journalism, English, or similar field
- Superb writing and editing skills
- Good IT skills including experience of website CMS management and content posting
- Creative thinking
- Experience in communicating via social media on behalf of an organization or business, including audience building, increasing engagement, and analytics.
- Patience and calm in situations with tight deadlines
- Keen visual understanding
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- An interest in and commitment to the aims and work of Global Canopy
- Experience in developing communication strategies
- Experience of online project management platform (e.g. basecamp)
- Experience of the Abode Creative Suite
- Experience in communicating about forests, deforestation, or sustainable business
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, or another language
About Global Canopy
Global Canopy is an innovative environmental organisation that targets the market forces destroying tropical forests. Since 2001, we have been testing new approaches to tackling deforestation, and guiding companies, investors and governments worldwide to think differently about out planet’s forests.
At Global Canopy we focus on the market forces driving two thirds of deforestation worldwide. We do not create protected areas to keep rainforests standing, but focus instead on the production, trade and financing of the key commodities responsible for agricultural expansion into tropical forests. We provide data, insights and guidance for companies, investors and governments already taking positive action, and help shine a light on those that need to do more. And we target the trillions of dollar of investment and lending which contribute to destroying forests and other vital natural capital, while highlighting new opportunities for sustainable investment