Global Canopy is a data-driven not for profit that targets the market forces destroying nature. We do this by improving transparency and accountability. We provide innovative open-access data, clear metrics, and actionable insights to leading companies, financial institutions, governments and campaigning organisations worldwide.
In line with major commitments agreed by the sector at COP26, this newly created role will be part of our Corporate Performance team and will lead on a growing area of work that focuses on developing guidance and capacity for financial institutions in support of eliminating deforestation from their portfolios. As part of our bold programming approach, this role will lead on developing step-by-step guidance on “how to” eliminate deforestation in clients/holdings operations and supply chains. Our high-level Roadmap was launched at COP with ministerial support and we will shortly be launching detailed guidance for pension funds.
Your role will be to oversee the development and expansion of finance sector guidance including:
- Technical and research oversight of GC’s finance sector guidance and related content to ensure effective uptake and capacity building
- Line manage and develop a group of researchers to deliver required work
- Engagement with a wide range of finance sector, civil society and government stakeholders to get feedback and iterate
- Support Global Canopy’s finance sector and capacity building strategies, leading on guidance strategy
To be successful in this role, these are the things that will matter the most:
- Outstanding research skills, with a track record of oversight and rigour in producing analysis for the finance sector
- Deep understanding of the finance sector and management of deforestation and/or nature-related risks and opportunities.
- Ability to manage people, foster a culture of excellence and deliver work effectively to an agreed strategy.
Skills and experience:
- Ability to gather, synthesise, analyse and creatively communicate complex data, information and processes into guidance to a targeted finance sector audience
- Ability to engage with and collate feedback from a varied range of stakeholders and maintain buy-in from partners
- Ability to manage a small team
- A strong drive to contribute to our mission, a passion for sustainability and the role that the finance sector can play to drive change
- Demonstrable experience in developing outstanding research and analysis.
- Specialist technical knowledge on one or more of the following topics with demonstrable experience on advising on it in a professional capacity: ESG measurement, environmental disclosure and reporting, supply chains, sustainability, or financial services.
At Global Canopy, we value diversity and inclusion. You can read our diversity statement on our website. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and are committed to having a team with a diverse set of skills, experiences and abilities. We are committed to reducing systemic barriers in our recruitment processes. We strongly encourage those from diverse backgrounds to apply and not self-reject based on the listed criteria in the job pack.
Global Canopy works on issues of tropical deforestation. We are particularly interested in strengthening our team to include those with a background from forest regions such as Latin America and South East Asia. We would welcome applications from people from these regions.
Global Canopy is an inclusive employer and accommodations will be made to allow anyone who requires additional support to apply for this role. Please get in touch with us if you require any additional support.
To find out more, download the recruitment pack or visit our website.