Field of activity
The programme assists the Cameroonian ministries for forestry and the environment in implementing their national programmes. One of its key contributions is drafting methodological approaches and models that help generate added value and enable effective management of forest and natural resources by local governmental and non-governmental actors.
In the East Region of Cameroon, the programme supports the regional forestry service and four authorities in the sustainable management and administration of their forests, thereby also helping to protect natural resources and biodiversity.
Monitoring forest resources provides the basis for effective support for the regional forestry service. The geography/cartography division of the forestry services is responsible for generating information in this regard.
- Support the regional authority in compiling forest inventories
- Provide support for data collection and the production of maps
- Develop the capacities of the forestry service and of authorities in using instruments such as GPS, QGIS and ArcGIS
You offer the following qualifications
- A degree in geography, social sciences or comparable training as well as relevant experience
- Very good knowledge of and experience in using cartography and geometryGood knowledge of applications such as GPS, QGIS or ArcGIS
- Knowledge of managing natural resources and forestry would be an advantage
- Willingness to travel regularly to remote areas where necessary
You offer the following competencies
- Good communication skills, ability to work in a team, a high frustration threshold
- Good knowledge of French
Conditions regarding location
- Place of residence: Bertoua, approx. 300,000 inhabitants
- Tropical climate, average temperature of 25°C, rainy season from March to April and August to October
- Health care: compared with the capital Yaoundé, medical facilities in Bertoua are limited, and can only be ensured to a limited extent in the case of emergencies
- Security situation: stable
- Shopping facilities and availability of supplies: basic supplies of fruit and vegetables available at the local market and in small supermarkets
- Accessibility: approx. five-hour drive from Yaoundé; 320 km of tarred road
- Facilities for children; schools: the location is not suitable for schoolchildren; there is no international school
- Other information: nice scenery; limited international community
The place of assignment is not suitable for applicants with school-age children.
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.