Rainforest Trust seeks an enthusiastic and dedicated individual with excellent technical, analytical, and communication skills for a part-time, paid Conservation Internship for Summer 2021. In this position, you will compile and analyze data from Global Forest Watch on forest cover loss within Rainforest Trust’s global portfolio of protected areas. You will develop methods for integrating GFW’s real-time forest loss tracking data into Rainforest Trust’s project database, and will use the database and other means to visualize and communicate about forest loss events to project managers. In this internship, you will work closely with Rainforest Trust’s Conservation Scientist and the Conservation Team, helping to create and implement data processing workflows.
Learning Outcomes – The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
- Implementing workflows in data acquisition and processing
- Performing geospatial analyses related to deforestation and tree cover loss
- Compiling and communicating real-time data on forest loss events to Rainforest Trust staff
- Integrating findings into Rainforest Trust’s project database for easy access by team members
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a degree in the field of environmental science, conservation, geography, or related fields seeking experience in conservation data management and improving conservation outcomes
- Strong technical communication skills with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical information to a variety of audiences
- GIS experience and experience with batch processing geospatial data preferred
- Analytical mindset as demonstrated through relevant coursework and/or prior project experience
This is a paid internship.
This is a part-time, 2 month summer internship with flexible start and end dates between May to October based on the student’s availability.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties and/or responsibilities may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Ability to remain in a stationary position at a computer terminal for an extended period. The person in this position frequently communicates with colleagues both verbally and in writing and must be able to exchange accurate information.
Remote, work-from-home environment with reliable internet access.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Cece Self: email@example.com
About Rainforest Trust
ainforest Trust is a non-profit global conservation organization that aims to conserve the world’s most threatened tropical species and habitats. Our approach is to develop highly effective partnerships with in-country organizations and work with them to purchase and protect threatened tropical ecosystems, ensuring the sustainable results necessary for the long-term protection of these areas and the wildlife they hold.